In these terms and conditions we use the following definitions, together with those set out in our Site Policies document:
Reader means any visitor to any part of Egyptological Online.
Contributor means any author or photographer who submits content including leaving comments. A Contributor is automatically a Reader.
Editor means any user who is granted a logon and password which allows them to see personal data of other Readers or Contributors (e.g. to moderate comments). An Editor is automatically a Contributor.
Scope of our Agreement
Please refer to the Site Policies document which is incorporated into these terms together with the additional policies set out in that document and which together set out the entire terms of our agreement with you. For the avoidance of doubt, any deliberate or reckless failure to meet the standard of conduct set out in the Write for Us section of Egyptological is a breach of your of your agreement with us, but the guides in that section are not otherwise part of the agreement.
Use of Egyptological Online constitutes acceptance of these Terms and Conditions and establishes a binding agreement between us and you as set out.
Access to all parts of EO – Egyptological Online is permitted on a temporary basis, and we reserve the right to withdraw or amend access without notice or to restrict access to some sites, or parts of sites, to Readers who have registered with us or who have been granted additional access privileges. We may withdraw any permissions or passwords granted to allow access to a site, or parts of a site, at any time and without giving reasons.
Egyptological Online and the contents of our sites are for general information only and are provided “as is”. We make no warranties, representations or undertakings about:
- any of the content including, without limitation, the quality, accuracy, completeness or fitness for any particular purpose of such content; or
- any content of any other third party website reached by hypertext link from Egyptological Online.
Family Friendly Content
Our intention is that Egyptological Online is mostly suitable for high school students, but cannot guarantee this. In particular Readers are advised that
- ancient social customs (e.g. marriage practices) are different to modern practice and may be considered by some Readers to be inappropriate for high school students;
- some articles may be marked as containing material only suitable for older adolescents, but there are no access controls in place;
- we are unable to control material which may be placed on the site without our knowledge or permission; and
- we have not control over material on hyperlinked third party sites which consequently might be unsuitable for children.
Parents, teachers and guardians are responsible at all times for the supervision of children in their care when accessing Egyptological Online.
Contributors are asked to respect this policy and to consult us before posting any material which they consider unsuitable for high school children to discuss whether it should be marked or modified in some way to make it more appropriate for Egyptological Online. We may also reject such material.
We also make no guarantee or warranty that Egyptological Online is free from malware computer viruses. It is strongly recommended that you check for such viruses before downloading material.
Disputes with Us
The purpose of these Terms and Conditions (T&C) is to set out standards of conduct which are necessary for our sites to run smoothly; to comply with the our legal and other obligations; and to protect us. We are individuals and not a company or corporation. Our time and resources are limited. Accordingly you accept that to the maxium extent permitted by law our liability to you shall never exceed £50. In the event of a dispute you agree:
- that the law of England shall apply to all matters relating to your use of Egyptological Online and your relationship with us and that the courts of England shall have exclusive jurisdiction to resolve any dispute;
- that Contributors (and not us other than in relation to content we submit as a Contributor) are wholly responsible for the content they submit to Egyptological Online and any claim should be brought against the relevant Contributor;
- to send to us full written details and evidence for any complaint and allow us three months from the receipt of your written complaint to resolve matters before taking any other action; and
- that at our option you will submit any complaint to binding arbitration (which shall preclude any further court action).
Notwithstanding the maximum liabiity above, we accept no liability arising from any reliance placed on the content of Egyptological Online; the use or inability to use the sites we offer; the downloading of any materials; any material reached by a link to a thirdparty site, including advertisements, or any unauthorised access to or alteration to Egyptological Online. We shall have no liablity to you whatsoever if you have breached any of the terms of your agreement with us or if it is reasonable for us in all the circumstances to suspect that you have breached the agreement even if a breach has not be proven.
You should not rely on Egyptological Online to maintain a copy of any material you submit and are responsible for maintaining your own backups. We accept no liablity to any Contributor in respect of any material which is removed from our sites.
Links to third party websites are for your convenience only. Such websites are operated and controlled by third parties a link to them does not imply any endorsement or approval. We shall have no liablity to you in respect of any material on a third party site reached from Egyptological Online.
Responsibilities of Readers
You are responsible for using the site in accordance with the agreement between us. You undertake to respect the copyright of Egyptological Online and our Contributors. If you quote Egyptological Online material elsewhere you will follow generally accepted good practice.
You may never hyperlink directly to an image but must always link to the containing page. No content from Egyptological Online may be reproduced within an Iframe.
You may not engage in any activity which is likely to, or intend to, bring harm to Egyptological Online or our Readers, Contributors or Editors.
Responsibilities of Contributors
As a Contributor it is your responsibility to ensure that you have the necessary authority to submit any material, including ensuring that it does not infringe the copyright of any other person. You are reminded that licensing restrictions as well as copyright may apply to some material, epecially to some images.
You may not submit content which defames or attacks somebody, which is discriminatory or which encouarges any unlawful activity. You undertake to indemnify us against any complaint brought by any third party relating to content you have submitted.
You are prohibited from posting or submitting:
- that is confidential or private, threatening, defamatory, obscene, indecent, seditious, offensive, pornographic, abusive, incites racial hatred, discriminatory, scandalous, inflammatory, blasphemous or which may cause annoyance or inconvenience; or
- for which you have not obtained all necessary licences and/or approvals; or
- which constitutes or encourages conduct that would be considered a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise be contrary to the law of or infringe the rights of any third party, in the UK or any other country in the world; or
- which is technically harmful (including, without limitation, “malware”, computer viruses, logic bombs, “Trojan horses”, worms, harmful components, corrupted data, malicious software or harmful data).
You acknowledge that you may be held liable by us or a third party for any breach of your obligations, duties or performance set out in the documents which descrive your agreement with us.
Responsibilities of Editors
If you are granted permissions as an Editor, you undertake to keep confidential all information relating to our affairs.
You must at all times keep personal data of other users confidential and secure and process it only for the purposes of Egyptological Online as set out with, and in accordance with, this agreement. If you are unfamiliar with the law of England, you should familiarise yourself with the Data Proection Act 1998 (which is based on the EU Data Protection Directive ) and other applicable law.
We reserve the right to amend or replace the Terms and Conditions at any time.